Friday, August 20, 2010

Sleepovers? WTH???

Okay calling all moms (and dads if any read)

What the heck is up with the sleepover thing?

My girls keep talking about sleepovers (mostly after being around a group of friends who are talking about sleepovers). Is this some new thing that I don't know about because my girls are barely 7 and soon-to-be 9. Who is sleeping over at those ages? Did I miss something. Was there a sleepover age shift that I just missed?

I don't think times have changed that much have they? I grew up going to sleepovers. I was older. I personally was not that crazy about them. I love sleep. Period. Always have and probably always will. I could never stay up late and still can't. My childhood friends still tease me to this day. (It's all good. I'm well rested. LOL)

Now here's the thing. My two daughters can barely sleep in their own dang beds without waking up constantly to voice all sorts of concerns, so it is crazy to me to think they would sleep in a strange house in a strange bed or floor. I just don't see it. My girls do not have cousins or other family members that they have spent the night with. They are total sleepover virgins. Not to mention their father is just not having it. He is against the sleepover thing and that is a battle I am not willing to go to the mat for them at this time. NO THANKS!

So now I have them asking if friends can come here for a sleepover, but again really??? Aren't they a little young?

Someone enlighten me please. What are your sleepover thoughts, experiences and stories? Please share.

2 comments:

  1. We were initiated into the sleepover thing pretty early. My daughter's best friend slept over in 1st grade because her mother was having a baby. Shortly after, my son's best friend "slept over" for two weeks while his parent's went to China to adopt his sister. After that it didn't seem like such a big deal. The only one I've had any problem with is Child #3. She thinks a sleepover sounds like loads of fun until about midnight when she starts crying because she misses me. I've had to pick her up in the middle of the night. Luckily Kelly is very understanding and only lives 8 houses up the street. : )

    Perhaps you could start it with a "fake sleepover". I know a lot of people who have done this. The girls get in their PJ's and watch a movie in their sleeping bags, have dessert, etc and then get picked up at 10pm or so.

    But it is the "in thing" right now. I offered Celia all kinds of loot/bribes this summer for her birthday but she held firm that she wanted a sleepover. It went very well actually, Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara! I didn't even think about the "fake sleepover" option. After reading your post and thinking about it a bit, we have had sleepovers. I've had my god children over, but I guess because that is always few and far between, it doesn't count.

    It's definitely the "in thing" now. I would like to meet the kid who made it "in" and strangle him or her. I think my two would be like your # 3 and I would just need to always be on hot standby waiting for that call to come in to go and pick them up. Being 8 houses away always helps.

    I really like the "fake sleepover" idea. May have to use that one. Thanks Kara!

    ReplyDelete